Wednesday, February 3, 2010

February 3, 2010 - Memory

Feb 3 2010
Sometimes I wonder (very original start..) just how accurate my memory of the past really is. Sadly, I struggle mightily to recall specific details about events that occurred a week or saw prior to this moment. Thus, my brain, I imagine does it's best job to fill in the multitude of blanks, in itself.

So I wonder again, how good a job this brain of mine, or I guess just myself ( I am my brain?! ), does at retelling my tale. First of all since my brain is me, and has my best interest in mind, it is surely possible that I lie to myself.

Interestingly memories that produce strong emotional responses (thereby releasing more stress hormones) produce vivid, but often inaccurate memories.

Perhaps rather then whine about lost / inaccurate memory it can be seen as reassuring that these moments of pain are somewhat reassembled to help us move along through life. Or maybe this is a bad thing, to live a lie. Perhaps I want the truth regardless of the harshness of reality! To which my brain might respond 'You can't handle the truth!'

No comments:

Post a Comment

Web Analytics