Tuesday, June 8, 2010

1 - Favorite Song

Erik Satie - Gymnopédie No.1 and No.2

This is not my favorite song. Although I like it a lot, it is pretty difficult to have a number one song. Perhaps with some extraordinary memory attached to it, one could chose a favorite with a firm resolve.

For me, I do have a lot of memories with an audio sound track playing in the background, however I cannot pinpoint one that stands out among the rest. A lot of people point back to songs like the one playing during their first dance (I don't even remember mine, I was a nervous wreck), their wedding dance (Not yet!), or maybe the first time they... er nevermind.. But most of the songs in my memory come from games. Well, some example include Mega Man, Super Mario, Final Fantasy, and Earthbound. Those I would say are very nostalgic for me, but none are what I would call favorites.

Now to get back on track, although not mine, this is my friend Andrew's favorite song to play on the piano, and is becoming one of mine as well. He introduced it to me although it was already sitting on my piano bench. The song itself is simple and soothing. In its simplicity is a lot of different emotions however.

Playing this song makes you feel quite odd... You feel relaxed yet slightly on edge. The sound can be haunting and also happy and hopeful. I wonder what Satie was thinking and feeling when he wrote this?

Anyways here is a link if anyone reads this and is interested in listening.

2 comments:

  1. Omg this is probably my favorite classical song. And the feeling I get from it is also weird, I can't describe it.

    Also, I realized a few years ago that there's a Janet Jackson song ("Someone to Call My Lover") where the melody is playing in the background.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ahhh I vaguely remember that song ... I had no idea of the correlation between the two though... cool!

    ReplyDelete

Web Analytics